bye bye scrubs! new beginnings and messy resumes

this post will be two fold: first, i want to show yall some fun outfits i'm excited to rock in my new workplace, and then i want to share my heart about my current job situation! if you want one or the other feel free to scroll to what interests you :)

for the last six months, this has been my uniform everyday. it has been nice to not have to put mental energy into anything other than making sure i have enough clean shirts to last me through the week. scrubs are super comfortable, and practical for the work i have been doing.

but, as i transition into working with families, i am going to be expected to look more professional. here are a few outfits i have put together with some new clothes i got within the last few weeks, mixed with some of my closet staples. i will do another one of these posts in the next few weeks, updating yall on what i've actually been wearing! i have linked the pieces (or similar styles) below each picture!

similar shirt
similar vest
old navy pixie pants
nine west flats

sweater
old navy pixie pants (color is out of stock at the moment)
similar shoes 

similar tee
leggings
nine west flats

top
old navy pixie pants (color is out of stock at the moment)
shoes

my journey to finding my current career was a windy one, and i'll try to make this summary concise. i went into my undergraduate studies knowing i wanted to study speech pathology, because my mom's best friend is an slp (speech language pathologist) in the schools. i loved the idea of helping kids in conjunction with their teachers to improve their educational experience. my knowledge of speech pathology outside of that was very limited until i got to baylor and learned more about the role slps can play in the hospitals and other medical facilities. through medical internships, and experiencing my grandmother recovering from a stroke made me super interested in working with adults as well.

i graduated from baylor in august of 2016, since july, and worked as an slp in an elementary school for nine months. i loved my school and team, but had an itch to get medical experience early on in my career. i made the switch to working in a skilled nursing facility in june, and have been working with adults for the past 6 months. at this point, i am transitioning back to working with pediatrics, but on a more individualized basis than in the school district.

now that i sit here, starting my third new position in eighteen months since graduation tomorrow, i'm running through the different reactions i have gotten from those around me. as i update my resume, again, it's easy to feel like my life appears messy. most of my friends from graduate school have stayed at the same job since day one, and their work life seems neat and tidy from the outside.
i chose this field because of the many avenues i could take with one degree, i just don't think i expected to take so many this early in my career. i feel as though i have to justify my actions to anyone and everyone, but here's what it boils down to. i went into this field with a passion to help others, and because of that initial expectation, i tend to put the majority of my energy and brain power into my work. i want to be the best slp i can be, and find an outlet that plays to my strengths. each position i have had showed me a different piece of myself professionally. hopefully this position will incorporate the areas i feel my skills can best shine.

as i say goodbye to my scrubs (for now), and look towards this next season, it is full of uncertainty.  each of these steps i have taken in my career have seemed, on the outside, disconnected. but i am choosing to trust that one day i will look back and see each step as a perfect connection in the story God is writing. He hasn't let me down yet.

in the mean time, i'll update my resume one more time, and jump in head first into what this next season has in store.

xoxo

love,
laura

Comments

  1. I'm sure you will eventually be able to look back and put together the pieces of the different little tidbits you picked up along the way that make you an excellent SLP! [How do I know? I drastically changed jobs 3x during my first 2 years as a nurse!!] You go girl, chase those dreams!

    -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your encouragement brooke! i would love to hear about your nursing journey sometime!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts