"write the word"

i have always loved to write. not just type words on a screen, but use the cursive i'm so glad i learned (since they're not teaching it anymore in school 😔) and write. writing my notes out is definitely how i studied best in college, and if i don't take notes in church i'm thinking of a thousand different things instead of paying attention.

when it came to my devotional, i struggled to stay consistent with the daily ones that had the dates in them. when i would miss a day or two (or five) i would feel so guilty flipping past the days i missed. then i tried just finding a reading plan, but that seemed so overwhelming. most of them would have me reading one or two chapters a day, and due to my not being a morning person and all, i didn't find the time to invest in reading that much.

enter my college roommate who i'm convinced is my twin separated at birth (except we look nothing alike).

in a lot of things, we think the same way and get how the other functions. she mentioned a devotional i had heard about through another friend's instagram, and said it was really working for her. it's called write the word from cultivate what matters. she told me it wasn't super overwhelming, and she was able to find time in the morning before she left for work. knowing that she likes her sleep just as much as i do, i decided to give it a shot.


each journal has a different theme, and the one i was drawn to is called "cultivate joy: love one another." definitely two things i need to work on. each page has a scripture with space to write it out however you want. some of them i try and format a certain way, most of the time i just write. it normally take me five to ten minutes to write the scripture, and that time truly allows me to process what i'm reading instead of rushing through it to be done. it slows me down and allows me to listen for what God has for me.

one of the things i love most about this journal is it's meant to be at your own pace. there is a spot to write the date, and mine have been all over the place. they skip days, weeks, or sometimes even months, but this journal is not one i feel guilty coming back to after any amount of time. on the back of the page, there is space to journal. sometimes i write about the scripture, sometimes i write out my prayers, sometimes i have no words to write at all. then at the end, i choose a word for my day to write at the bottom.


that's it! i can tell you when i take the time to not hit my snooze button and start my day this way, i feel more centered and able to focus on what the day will bring. let me know if you end up getting one too, i would love to hear your experience!

xoxo

love,
laura

Comments

  1. I love Write the Word! I'm currently working through Cultivate Renewal and it's incredible. The Powersheets have also been a life-changing tool, and Lara Casey's book, Cultivate is incredible as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts